Youth Archery (previously called JAMA) is the junior section of Archery NZ, and offers an opportunity for new and experienced youth archers to complete structured shoots, set and achieve goals, and prepare for competitions if desired.
A full description of Archery NZ's Youth programme can be found on the Archery NZ website.
About MGAC's Youth Archery sessions
Mountain Green runs a scheduled session for Youth Archery on Sunday mornings. Sessions are at the Mountain Green outdoor range unless otherwise noted. Arrive by 9:15am for a 9:30am shooting start.
In the past, Mountain Green Youth archers have been split into two sessions. However, from Term 1 2018, a single session is run on Sundays at 9:15am (9:30am shooting start) for all divisions.
All youth archers are welcome at these sessions. We do ask that you:
- Are already, or intend to become within one week, a paid member of Mountain Green Archery Club - see our Membership page for more information. This means you need to have completed a MGAC Beginner Course, another club's equivalent course, or have received equivalent coaching elsewhere prior to coming to the Youth Archery session; this isn't the place to pick up a bow for your very first time. If you need beginner coaching, see our Starting Archery page.
- Consider joining Archery NZ as a full or postal event member. This is not required for MGAC Youth sessions, but enables the archer to receive award pins upon reaching specific scores. Archery NZ membership is not required to participate in other club shoots. It IS required for competition in tournaments and it supports the sport of archery within NZ, so it is highly recommended.
- Arrive on time and have your equipment ready well in advance of the shooting start time
- Contribute to range setup/packdown tasks as requested
- Bring your best sporting attitude and willingness to try!
If you are coming along to Youth Archery for your first time (after finishing the Beginner's Course), you should arrive extra-early, by 9:00am.
Youth Archery Groups
Youth archers are structured into age groups defined by the age you are on January 1st, and are defined as follows for 2018:
|Youth Archery Group||Archer's Year of Birth|
|Kiwi (under 10)||
|Cub (under 13)||
|Intermediate (under 15)||
|Cadet (under 17)||
|Junior (under 20)||
Archers born in 1997 or earlier are in Archery NZ's Senior division, regardless of the type of membership they might hold in their local club.